Sunday, 29 May 2016

Mega Last Matte Lip Cover by Wet N Wild

Dark colours aren't usually something someone with thin lips someone of my age can usually pull off, but hey, let's give this a try anyway, right?  I haven't had much good experience with Matte lips, usually they're drying or never do dry and always still have that slightly wet look about them.  That being said, Matte lips seem to be the "in" thing at the moment, I thought why not give it a try.

The colour I have today to review is "Cinnamon Spice" by Wet N Wild (can't say the company name is all that appealing to me, doesn't sound much like a cosmetic's company if you catch my drift!).  This is somewhere between a deep terricota red with slight undertones of brown in. It's a more brick red if you're pale like me and I found it not all that complimentary on small lips.  Probably better for the Kylie Jenners of you out there.

Application is dense and drying, it doesn't feather or bleed
into the skin around the lips, it tends to stay put and not
smear too much thankfully.
First of all, the tube is simple, a thin tube with a clear lid, within, this is your regular twist to apply style lippy with a rather flat head.  Right off the bat, I have to say I really dislike flat-head style lipsticks, I find them difficult to apply as is there isn't a tapered end to give you more definition closer around the edges.  The application of this was a little messy and problematic, I don't have a liner to match it so I can't get the perfect edges that you'd associate with a bold lip but it doesn't bleed or feather a whole lot luckily. The lipstick itself is extremely dense and dry, and it doesn't apply easily, it drags against the lip and does not go on smoothly, it doesn't feel creamy or luxurious, and I found tiny little crumbs had come away from it and gathered into the creases of the lip. The application reminded me of using a very cheap crayon on very rough paper - that's the only way I can find to describe it.

Looked slightly shiny after application, I waited half an hour and it still had that slightly light-reflective quality about it and it didn't set so kiss test on the back of the hand and my cup was poor - lip prints everywhere, back of my hand looked like the Rocky Horror Picture Show logo.  To properly mattify it and set it, I had to seperate the ply of a piece of tissue, press a piece to my lips and dab over it with some setting powder - this is an old trick to mattify most lipsticks without changing the hue too much. It did dull the shade slightly, but after this transfer was fine.  As far as places you could wear this colour to, I'd say most places, it isn't too bold or dark that it could be a night time shade, it'd probably be suitable enough for work wear or a daytime look depending on your style.

No visible staining upon removal, excuse the blurry photo, my iPad
hates me and I don't have a better camera to take macro shots.
As the hours wore on after my first application, I found the lipstick was starting to go patchy slightly in places and kept having to be reapplied to remain uniform so I wouldn't call this a "long lasting" variety.  After removing the lipstick at the end of the day, I saw no visible staining, it removed easily with my usual toner.  However I will note my lips are now horribly dry and feel like they're starting to crack, this might just be specific to me though, who can say.



Big Sloppy Kisses for making it to the end
of this article! xxx
 This lipstick is getting a ton of positive reviews but I found it a bit of a middle ground miss. The shade was nice but the application was difficult and the drying effect it left my lips with loses it some stars.  The lipstick comes in many other shades, but the application tends to be the same with the same issues in my experience.  At the asking price of £5.99, I'm honestly not that impressed. There are far better drugstore/high street lipsticks out there that look far nicer and apply far better. 

This can be purchased from Amazon, WalgreensDrugstore, and a variety of other retailers online. 

   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment